Flythe Sales and Service was established by Ed Flythe in 1946, shortly after he returned from military service. He took over the repair business from his father-in-law, W.C. Lewis.
Mr. Lewis had operated a sporting good store on Hargett Street. Ed Flythe took over the gun and locksmithing service. He later added the lawn mowers and bicycles. The store, Flythe Sales And Service was located on Salisbury Street, Raleigh, NC.
In 1972, Skip Flythe took over the store, from his father. The business was soon moved to its present location at 424 W. Peace Street in Raleigh, NC. As several years passed, the locksmith and lawn mower service were phased out. The business then concentrated strictly on bicycles and the name was changed to Flythe Schwinn Cyclery.
In 1997, Skip's son Winn joined the team and will soon take over the business operations. The business is now called Flythe Cyclery and we deal with bicycles, service, and accessories.
Being in business for 60 years has given us the opportunity to sell and service bicycles for several generations of Raleigh, Durham and area families. It has also allowed, Skip, Winn and their team to meet and sell to many new families who have moved into the triangle and surrounding areas.